Second Major in STS
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.
The 14-subject STS requirement is as follows:
- One STS Tier I subject
- One STS Tier II subject
- Five other STS subjects forming a coherent group of study
- STS.004 Critical Issues in STS*
- Pre-thesis tutorial (STS.ThT, 6 units)
- Thesis (STS.ThU, 12 units)
- Four subjects related to the historical and social study of science and technology
The full degree chart is posted in the MIT Bulletin. This is in addition to all requirements of the other major field.
Visit the Registrar’s Office’s website for more information about MIT guidelines for a double major.
Students must submit a petition to the Committee on Curricula that indicates the desire to work for this second/double major. The petition must be approved by faculty advisors in the two appropriate departments before students complete the entire program.
If you are interested in pursuing a major in STS, please contact the STS Undergraduate Academic Officer or STS Academic Administrator.
* For students who matriculated before Fall 2017, the STS.004 requirement can also be fulfilled by STS.091.